Monday, July 23, 2012

ICPC check list

So my wife and I adopted from Florida and my son was in the NICU so we spent a lot of time there.  There is something called ICPC which I talk about in my ebook which basically means that after you adopt, you have to let the Adopted from state shake hands with the state where you live to say that it is ok to bring that baby across the state border.  And by the way, this could be up to two weeks.  We are from GA but adopted from FL.  So after my child was discharged from the hospital, the ICPC clock started ticking.  You can go anywhere in the state so my wife and I started for Pensacola which is about an hour from family that live in AL.  Let me tell you that it seemed like eternity and everyone seems happy to have you wait in their state.  Here's some things to look out for. 

#1)  Plan for where you will buy the formula.  You are staying in a city and you need to know where you can find the formula you need.  In our case, my son was on the Similac Neosure brand.   We couldn't find this in local grocery or Wal Mart and they didn't have a Babies R Us in Pensacola so my family brought us some from AL.  Keep this in mind.
#2) We thought it would be great to stay at an Extended Stay.   I'm away from home and may need a fridge, stove, etc.  what a great idea.  Wrong.  The one in Tampa and Pensacola reeked of odor and I nor my wife felt safe there.  I think they keep all of the just release convicts in this place. 
#3) If you have time, maybe you should look at a house.  Renting houses especially in vacation areas are great options for families.   The only catch is that as adopted families, you may not be able to "Plan" for the trip.
#4) For hotel dwellers, see if they have a crib or pack and play for you.  We stayed at a Wingate and they did have it available.  So did the Holiday Inn Express.
#5) Don't forget the Car seat.   Most rental car agencies will rent them or if you drive, then you can bring your own.
#6) Don't cross those state lines.  Chances are nothing would happen but you would be breaking the law.  At this point, that may not fare well with the judge at finalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment