Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Misconceptions about adoption

Lets talk about some misconceptions about adoption.
1. I don't know if I could love a child that I didn't conceive.
This is absolutely not the case. When you hold that child and look into his/her face, those fears about not being able to love the child go away. I only have my adopted son but I can't imagine loving a biological child any more.

2. My family won't accept an adopted child
Another myth. My family has embraced my son as their own. They love him as much as my nephew (Bio son of my brother)

3. That child won't accept his mother because she isn't his bio mother.
I can tell you that in our case, he never knew his Bio mother. My wife is the only Mom he has ever known. He embraced her from day one.

4. Because he doesn't get breast fed, the child won't bond with the mother.
I tell you this isn't the case either. If you think about we all know kids that weren't breast fed but have bonded with their mothers.

5. Adoption is too expensive.
There are many places to get financial aid including the adoption tax credit. There are several agencies offering aid. Don't forget to check with your work as well. My work offered 5000 towards the adoption credit. There are even banks that offer adoption loans. Dont forget about the foster system for adoptions.

6. If I adopt, I won't get the time off of work like a bio MOm.
Most work places offer the adoptive Mom the same time off that the bio Mom would recieve. My work place offers me, the Dad time off as well.

7. I have to go International to get a baby for adoption.
Abosolutley not. Many international countries won't allow you to get a baby below 10-12 months while domestic adoptions can recieve an infant at the hospital.

8. There is a long wait for adopting babies.
Not necessarily. You can find people waiting 2 years or 2 months. It just depends. My wife and I went active in November and our son was born in May.

My wife and I see our son in both of us. We have been told that he looks like both of us. He has some manorisms of both of us. We can swear that God put our DNA into him because he is so much like his parents. Best of luck

No comments:

Post a Comment