Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Adoption Miscarriage

When we were waiting for a birth mom to pick us, we experienced a lot of anxiety. First you're physically invested in this with your time and energy, financially invested, emotionally invested. Its a tough road. So my wife and I are waiting for a birth mom to pick us and we found out that were in the final list of 5. Boy the heart starts pounding and you just know that out of 5 couples, you will be the number one. Well that didn't happen. Immediately you feel like you lost a child. Almost like you have miscarried. You hit the near match situation. Now we experienced this 3 times before we finally were matched with our sons birth mom. The experience was devistating.

I wish I could tell you how not to experience this. I wish I had answers but all I can tell you is to look forward to the actual day. Be prepared for the emotional ups and downs. Try to focus on whats ahead. One of the things that helped us through the whole adoption was our group at church. While this is not a religious blog, I encourage you to join or form your own support group. Friends and family members can be supportive. They may not understand but at this stage you just need an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment