Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My first Impact class

The first step to adopt through the Foster system is to attend an orientation. The next step is to attend Impact classes. In my county, we attend 7 weeks of classes and they started last Thursday. I really liked the group and it was actually good material. I was surprised to find out that a parent who has gone through the process will attend each session. We went through several scenarios with role playing. They also encourage you to get to know the others in the class to form your own group. I explained the importance of this in a previous blog. For a government agency, I was really pleased to find that most of the staff was great.

Here's an observation about foster adoptions verses the agency adoptions. The paperwork for the foster adoptions are a lot more extensive than the agency adoption that my wife and I have previously filled out. Now there are similarities but our paperwork consist of a binder of info. That's a lot of writing cramps :) Hey but the great thing about this is that instead of my wife and I trying to get the fingerprinting done for the GBI and FBI, the DFACS folks are doing that in this class. They also divide out the paperwork so you don't get overwhelmed. For the first class, I was impressed.

Here's a link for more information on IMPACT classes in GA.
http://www.dfcs.dhr.georgia.gov/portal/site/DHS-DFCS/menuitem.5d32235bb09bde9a50c8798dd03036a0/?vgnextoid=28006f1ad2a25010VgnVCM100000bf01010aRCRD

This should be similar to other states.

Good luck
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment