Friday, July 2, 2010

Choosing your attorney

One of the things that I will do different in the second adoption that I didn't do in the first adoption was to choose an attorney that works in my county. In the first adoption, the adoption agency chose the attorney for us. So the attorney works in downtown Atlanta and we live in the suberbs. This attorney had to jump through many hoops that I think he wouldn't have had to if he was local. In addition to that, we had to pay for multiple trips to our county from downtown Atlanta which is 30 plus miles one way. This just prolonged the adoption and added to our budget and frustration level. Take my advice, the "Good Ole Boy" system is still in use out there and if you have a choice, use an attorney that primarily works in the county you reside. He will know the judges and have worked with them and know what they like and don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment