Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Adding a second child to the mix

My wife and I adopted our second child and he has been a joy to watch grow.  I have noticed that he loves his big brother.  One of the pluses to that is that he also wants to do what his brother is doing.  So he was trying to crawl before he had the strength to move.  Ethan would sit there and rock back and forth.  After he had the crawling part down he would start to pull up.   Very determined kid and we can think his big brother for that.

Now that I have told you that Ethan idolizes Aiden, let me tell you everything is not always fun around our house.  Aiden loves his little brother but he also has those moments of jealousy that you never know are coming.  He can love one second and then squeeze the next second.   How many times can my wife say, "Gentle Hands" to this kid?  She has patience, let me tell you.  Trying to encourage him to channel that power for good and not evil is challenging.  By the time, I get home from work, I have one tired Mama to help.  I wish I could tell you that I have all the answers for making two boys into friends but we are not there yet.

We do have a lot of fun though.  Trying to get two kids to the Doctors office or to church is huge.  One of our challenges this Summer is that Aiden is dark complected and Ethan is fare complected.  Letting Aiden have fun at the pool without giving Ethan 3rd degree burns is another Challenge. But we manage.

 Aiden wanted to have his bath with Ethan and that has been fun. My Mom says to enjoy this time and we do.  We try and expose the kids to a lot of fun events.  But it doesn't stop the many days of chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment