Thursday, October 18, 2012

The best feeling ever

My kids are growing up in front of my eyes and I love it and hate it at the same time.   When you see your kids every day, you don't notice things like those who don't live with them.  Take my parents for instance, who always comment on how tall my son is getting or some feature that's changing.  Wow it can happen almost over night it seems.   On some hand, I want them to stay small.  On the other hand, I want them to grow up.   

Now the best feeling to me so far as a Dad of a 4 year old and almost 1 is the sleepy time.  My youngest was not feeling well last Sunday so my wife kept him in the service and he slept the whole time.  Holding your kids sleeping is something I like for some reason.  Perhaps its the peace they experience.  Perhaps its because you are holding them still and you know that won't last forever.   My wife was tired of holding my youngest on Sunday so she handed him to me.  I took him and he woke up for a second and looked at me as if to say, "Ok, its Dad" and then he went back to sleep.   That is it. 

Sometimes, I get to do the same with my 4 year old.  He does nap on occasion.  Mostly Sundays.  And most of the time he will wake up when I go get him, but sometimes he will let me hold him.  If you know anything about 4 year olds, they don't slow down much.   When he does it is special.  When life slows down just long enough to take one of the things that you would give your life for if that's what it took for them to live, and hold them the world stops.  Everything else doesn't matter.   Except you and them.   That's the best feeling ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment