Monday, July 16, 2012

Two faces of Sensory Processing Disorder

Every month my church asks the preschool parents to help out in our childrens class.   My wife and I had our week yesterday.  We had a new little girl that had started coming to church a couple of weeks ago.  She came into class and looked like she was going to cry which is normal for girls her age.  However, over time, she still appeared sad throughout the entire class.   She had a purse that was made of that trim that goes around blankets.  I don' t know the name but its soft to the touch and looks sort of like shiny silk.  She would rub that on her face.   Now that my son has Sensory processing, you can see it in others.  This is typical of how the girls react to Sensory.

My son gets into class and he wants to touch.  He hugs the other kids.  He is loud and when the group has to sit down, he can't seem to concentrate.  He is ansi. While the little girl retreats inward, my son explodes outward.   He tries to wrestle.  He runs. He screams.   Those are the two extemes of this issue.  I hope it helps you understand it more. 

Please let me know your thoughts, comments or email privately at how2adopt@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment